Mathematics (maths) is an important part of learning for all children in the early years and receiving a good grounding in maths is an essential life skill. As well as numeracy, it helps skills such as problem solving, understanding and using shapes and measure and developing their own spatial awareness.
We aim to:
- Provide a mathematically rich environment indoors and outdoors in which children can experience mathematical ideas in a purposeful way.
- Use the environment to support and develop mathematical learning and vocabulary, through continuous provision and enhance provision that is rich and varied.
- Use children’s interests as they occur and develop these in a mathematical direction when appropriate.
- Encourage children to develop a positive attitude to mathematics by transmitting enthusiasm and enjoyment in the subject.
- Plan activities, problems and challenges for groups and individuals.
- Use experiential activities and visual aids to support mathematical learning.